simple blog


A simple blog about seeking the Lord, savoring life and joyfully serving.


Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Am I Busy Doing The Right Things?

We are in an insanely busy season right now (isn't everyone?). There is so much in this life to distract us. There are trips to take, home projects, schooling endeavors, church plays, gardens to tend, baby chicks that need attention, playdates, field trips, grandparents who need to hold our babies and graduations. 
 
When our schedules are so full we must ask ourselves, "Am I Busy Doing The Right Things?"





Evaluate the items in your day and determine their lasting value. What are the most important items that need attention in life? I ask myself if there is any eternal significance in what I am doing? Am I tending to relationships and cultivating friendships? Am I solidifying my children's self worth and deepening their knowledge of the Savior? As much as I love doing dishes, laundry, decluttering and cleaning the house (ha!), can I stop for a game of chess with my daughter or to put together a Lego man for my son? Am I doing the things that I will be be thankful I did when I look back at my life twenty years from now? Life is but a vapor and it is too short to live with a long list of regrets.


 
One of my personal prayers is that I will always remain teachable. I find the Lord uses unique teachable moments in my life.  I was not prepared for the sobering moment that struck me during Mr. Banks and Bert's song the first time I saw Mary Poppins as a parent.  It saddened me to think that it could ever being too late to give that spoonful of sugar to my little ones. Of course I will always be available for my children in whatever capacity I am able. I just don't want insignificant pursuits to interfere with what is most important in my life and that is my family.
 
A man does have dreams, as Mr. Banks so eloquently articulates (and mommas do as well) but at what cost? Perhaps we can build these dreams together. It may take a smidge longer but what is that in light of eternity? What do you want to be remembered for? How can you make each moment count?

Life will always be busy. Are we busy doing the right things?

 "So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."
Psalm 90:12


Grace and peace,

Adoring Family


No comments:

Post a Comment