simple blog


A simple blog about seeking the Lord, savoring life and joyfully serving.


Thursday, April 11, 2019

8 Ways to Eliminate PMS Symptoms

Today I would like to share with you 8 things I add to my life as I am experiencing the symptoms of PMS and during my cycle. I find these items to be soothing and greatly beneficial in relieving pain, anxiety, bloating and a plethora of other symptoms. 



Clary Sage:
Clary Sage reduces insomnia, increases circulation, relives menstrual discomfort, and supports hormone balance. I find the smell to be calming and has a soothing effect when applied topically. I enjoy diffusing this oil at night w lavender but during my cycle I will also diffuse during the day w peppermint or citrus. 

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea:
Now this is something I have started drinking on a regular basis. I enjoy a cup per day but closer to my cycle I up the amount to three cups per day. Red Raspberry Leaf contains fragarine which tones and strengthens the pelvic region, specifically the uterine muscles. This makes them more efficient and helps relive the pain of menstrual cramps as well as controls bleeding. As I wrote about in this post, I drank Red Raspberry Leaf Tea during labor as it can encourage uterine contractions and I believe it helped w the pain during childbirth. 
It must be the actual Red Raspberry LEAF, not raspberry.


Raw Carrots:
When you consume carrots in their raw state, they help clear your body of excess estrogen.
Eating raw carrots helps to ease the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. This was my original encounter with balancing hormones naturally as I was suffering with severe PMS. I found carrots rid the body of excess estrogen, the culprit for physical (and sometimes mental) symptoms of PMS. During my pregnancy and after delivery I made sure to eat plenty of raw carrots and I did not encounter the hormonal acne or anxiety I experienced during my first two pregnancies.
This is a result of the remarkable fiber, unique to carrots and bamboo shoots that estrogen binds to. This is useful for breastfeeding mommas as high estrogen levels decrease your milk supply. It is also good news for suffers of PMS and menopause.


Dr. Ray Peat, “There are interesting associations between vegetable “fiber” and estrogens. Because of my own experience in finding that eating a raw carrot daily prevented my migraines,... Several women who suffered from premenstrual symptoms, including migraine, had their serum estrogen measured before and after the “carrot diet,” and they found that the carrot lowered their estrogen within a few days, as it relieved their symptoms.”
Full article and peer studies found here)

Acne Free:
If you suffer from hormonal acne or the breakouts that occur a few days before your cycle, I HIGHLY recommend this 3 step system skin cleansing system (found on Amazon here). This system calms my skin and clears up breakouts in days, if I am proactive  and actually use this before my monthly PMS begins then I will not experience the hormonal acne that generally occurs before my cycle. If you suffer from acne or oily skin, try it. It works.



Detox and rebound
Detox by drinking room temp water or warm water. Ice cold water freezes digestive enzymes and fluids in your gut which prohibits your body from digesting your food efficiently. This causes toxins to build up. Warm water encourages elimination of toxins and stimulates your lymph system. Warm water increase circulation which allows your body to focus it's energy on repairing your reproductive system during menstruation.

The rebounder, as you all know by now is one of my favorite ways to exercise. read more about how I exercise using a mini-trampoline here and why Nasa deemed rebounding the most effective form of exercise.

Pumpkin seed protein powder
When we moved into our camper I started a high protein eating plan. I was a little off schedule because of the big change (moving from 2800 sq feet to a small camper as a family of 6). One thing I did every day was eat yogurt mixed with peanut butter and this Pumpkin seed protein powder. I was surprised when I started my monthly cycle and I had absolutely NO symptoms and NO CRAMPS! This was highly unusual for me and I attribute it to the low carb high protein eating plan and the pumpkin seed. I have read a lot about seed cycling for hormones but I just don't have the time to devote to that. I knew I wasn't doing seed cycling so it wasn't the reason for my disappearing menstrual symptoms. What I did find was that pumpkin seeds contain large amounts of magnesium. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and prevent migraines and helps w period cramps. Pumpkin seeds also contain high amounts of zinc which helps to regulate progesterone levels and decrease menstrual cramps. These seeds are rich in Omega-3s that reduce inflammation as well as rich in iron which your body loses during your cycle.
Admittedly, this protein powder is on the expensive side for being purely ground up seeds. I have decided to try purchasing these seeds in bulk and grinding them myself or adding them to my yogurt as a crunchy topping.

Evening Primrose Oil 
Evening Primrose oil  balances progesterone and estrogen levels. It also relieves bloating and mood swings. I do find that it helps control PMS induced anxiety. I usually take these 3-4 days before I start my cycle or anytime I start feelin anxious as a result of PMS.


 

I do find tremendous relief from my monthly cycle when I apply these items to my daily regimen during the week leading up to my period. I hope you find comfort in these as well.
Thank you for reading.
Grace & peace,
Adoring Family

2 comments:

  1. it's just inside their heads and their body is more relaxed. This means it is just ADD symptoms. That is the general difference. altimers

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brand must, however, be able to fulfill its promise, which packaging can do. Here are some things that product packaging has to be capable of for consumers to learn about the brand. BOPA film manufacturer/supplier

    ReplyDelete