simple blog


A simple blog about seeking the Lord, savoring life and joyfully serving.


Thursday, January 17, 2019

Work Heartily, as for the Lord



Romans 12:1 encourages us to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice to God. This itself is a spiritual act of worship. Go about your day, your hard tasks, and view them as an act of worship. So often we can misleadingly think that the only time we are worshiping the Lord is when we are singing hymns, reading His Word, alone in prayer or on the mission field. When you are sweeping your floor for the third time, if you are doing it heartily as unto the Lord, this is the gospel lived out. You are serving Christ as Colossians says.

"23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24

We have been going through a trying season. I hesitate to write that because it seems as though everyone is always going through something. During this period of difficulty I have found myself extremely tired and unmotivated to clean my home. These five things help me immensely to take the first step and get myself in motion. Just as Newton's law of inertia states, an object in motion tends to stay in motion but an object at rest tends to stay at rest. This is SO true for me! If I can just get that first motion going I can stay in motion. I hope my list gives you some inspiration to get your body in motion..

5 Quick Ways to Get 
Motivated to Clean House
1. Put on Worship Music. This reminds me that by serving my family I am serving the Lord as well. I am actively involved in the spiritual act of worshiping Christ. I am DOING my work heartily as unto the Lord, it may be a sacrifice when I'm tired but it's a sacrifice of praise.
2. Begin with the end in mind. Picture how clean and peaceful your home will feel when you have dinner simmering on the stove, counters cleaned off, floor swept.
3. Set a timer. We all know this but I HAVE to throw it in there. Somehow knowing there is an end time makes the task so much easier to endure. We also know what happens if the timer goes off and we aren't finished. Most of the time we will finish!
4. Move all things to a central location. When I am decluttering my kitchen counters, (a never ending and daily occurrence), I take everything that does not belong and place it on my dining room table. It helps my brain to not have to think about where each item will go. I can assign a simple task to my children to take all of their belongings from one location and put them away. The first step is complete and my counters are clear. This build momentum and makes me feel accomplished. 
5.Offer a reward. Don't just offer a reward to the help you've enlisted but offer one to yourself. Perhaps a mug of something tasty or a healthy sweet treat like my fav keto mug cake. Maybe it's a phone call to a friend or 10 minutes with a favorite book. I have found rewards to be an effective way to get my kids cleaning. Hey guys, if you  will help me tidy up for 10 minutes then we will go to so-and-so's house...works every time.

A note to wives:
Wives, when serving your husband you are also serving the Lord. I confess that there are times when I am less motivated to serve based on my feelings. Feelings are fickle and cannot be trusted. I may be exhausted but I try to do what I need to do anyway. I remind myself that by blessing my husband, I am blessing the Lord. It is not about making my husband's lunch, it's not ironing his pants, it's putting myself second and putting someone else's needs above my own just as the Lord Christ did.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,[ being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:5-11

That is one of the most impacting Scriptures for my life when it comes to daily living. It is the antitheses of daily American life. We are taught by society to climb to the top by any means possible. Jesus tells us to humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord and HE will lift us up. 

My feelings are ever changing and if I follow my feelings instead of the concrete and unchanging Word of God then I will be like the ocean waves, ebbing to and fro, inconsistent and sporadic. I want to be steady in my integrity and diligent with my duties. The best way I can do this is by giving all that I am to Christ, going about my daily tasks with joy and knowing that my reward comes from the Lord. I work not for man but for the unchanging and ever-loving, kind and compassionate Jesus. 

Blessings to you as you set about your work with eager hands.

Grace and peace,
Adoring Family





No comments:

Post a Comment